• LDS believe in an after-life that consists of three kingdoms (1) :
-Celestial: highest kingdom; you will live in God’s presence & know complete joy
-Terrestrial: second highest; people who refuse to accept the gospel of Jesus Christ but who live honorable lives receive a place here
-Telestial: lowest; those who continue in their sins and do not repent receive a place in the telestial kingdom. (1)
• LDS believe that we are all children of God, and that we will be judged by the works we have done on earth and the desires of our hearts(2). In order to attain to the highest kingdom, one must not only accept the gospel of Jesus Christ, but abide by all that is commanded within the teachings of the LDS church (see: Doctrine & Covenants (3).
What the Bible Says
• The only way to experience eternal life is by repenting of sin and believing in Jesus as Lord (John 3:16).
• He who rejects Jesus does not have life; but the wrath of God abides on him(1 John 5:12).
• Those who live in unrepentant sin do not receive a kingdom, but everlasting death(Matthew 18:8-9).
• No matter how sincere our hearts or ‘good’ our deeds, we have all been confined under sin and thus under condemnation(Romans 3:9-20).
• Jesus Himself is our righteousness; we need not climb the ladder, for He has perfected by one offering forever those who are being sanctified(Romans 3:21-26; Hebrews 10:14).
1-derived from 1 Corinthians 15:41
2-See: Mormons & the Plan of Salvation
3- D&C 137:9