“God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!”
• LDS reject the idea of the Trinity. Mormons believe in Heavenly Father as the “god of this earth”, but not as the One and only God from eternity.
• Joseph Smith shifted his doctrine on the Nature of God throughout the years, changing the account of his first vision to align with his new polytheistic view. In accordance with his teaching that God Himself is in fact merely an exalted man , the vision he received depicted God the Father as a being with flesh and bone. (1)
• LDS believe that Jesus is not One with God the Father, but a separate god who began as a spirit son and worked His way to a God-status, as all gods have done before Him and will continue to do after. (2)
• LDS do not believe that Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, but by God the Father. (3)
• LDS believe that different gods have existed from the beginning of time, and that every man born on earth has the potential to himself reach the status of a god. (4)
1-See: King Follet Sermon: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1971/04/the-king- follett-sermon?lang=eng
2-”It is the first principle of the gospel to know for a certainty the character of God, and to know that we may converse with Him as one man converses with another, and that He was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ Himself did;” (King Follet Sermon)
3-Brigham Young, the second prophet of the Mormon Church says this, in Journal of Discourses, p 50, 51; “When the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost.”
4-“how consoling…to inherit the same power, the same glory and the same exaltation, until you arrive at the station of a god,” (KFS)
What the Bible Says
• The Bible teaches there is but one God who has no beginning and will have no end(Revelation 22:13).
• The Bible teaches that there have been no gods before Him, there are no gods besides Him, and there will be no gods after Him (Isaiah 45:5; Isaiah 44:8).
• The Bible teaches that God is Spirit (John 4:24).
• The Bible teaches that God is separate from man (Numbers 23:19; Psalm 103:14).
• The Bible teaches that Jesus is God(John 8:48-59; John 14:9; Colossians 1:9-14).
• The Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit is God(Acts 5:3-4).
• The Bible teaches the doctrine of the Trinity: Father, Son, Spirit as One(Matthew 28:19-20).
• The Bible condemns those who promote themselves to the status of a god(Acts12:22-23).
• The Bible teaches followers of Jesus not to desire status, intelligence, or esteem, but to humble themselves and exalt Christ alone in their lives(John 3:30; Jeremiah 45:5; 1 Peter 5:6).