"the plan of salvation is God’s plan for the happiness of His children"
• LDS believe in a pre-earth (1) existence, where everyone who is now on earth once existed with Heavenly Father(2) in a spirit body, and there learned the principles and commandants that would lead to happiness. Here Jesus Christ (who was also a spirit son) was chosen as the Savior, and all of Heavenly Father’s spirit sons and daughters learned that through Him they could overcome the effects of wrong choices.
• A central focus of the plan of salvation is not saving mankind from their sins and eternal condemnation, but rather a chance at greater happiness and intelligence. The plan of salvation hinges on our choices to better ourselves, not on the love or sacrifice of Jesus.
What the Bible Says:
• On Pre-earth existence: “However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven. As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.” 1 Corinthians 15:46
• On the Preeminence of Christ: Colossians 1:15-17; John 8:58
• The central focus of the Biblical plan of salvation is not on man’s potential happiness, but on man’s helplessness & God’s mercy with which mankind is saved from the wrath deserved by sin. Jesus, God from eternity, became sin— that we might become the righteousness of God.
“But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.”
(1)during this pre-earth existence, those who chose to follow Satan lost their privilege to be born on earth
(2)Title used by Latter Day Saints for God (separate from Jesus and the Holy Spirit)